Supplementation is very important for women 50-54, as after the age of 40 a number of genetic time bombs have been triggered within the body’s aging clock, which are associated with important age-related health problems. These health problems concern your joints (arthritic changes), heart function (e.g. high blood pressure, congestive heart failure), your immune and detoxification systems (infection and cancer risk increases) as well as dealing with menopausal symptoms.These are the supplementation considerations that are most important:
Immune and Detoxification Support – by age 50 the body’s immune system becomes weakened and immune cells are less able to destroy emerging cancer cells, viruses, bacteria, and other infectious agents. Cancer rates sky rocket after 50 and people become prone to more serious and life-threatening infections as they age. Thus, supplementation with natural agents shown to help preserve more youthful immune function is vital after age 50, as are nutrients that maintain detoxification enzyme function, which neutralize cancer-causing agents each minute of our lives.
Natural Menopausal Support Nutrients – clinical studies have proven that some natural herbal agents can manage menopausal symptoms in more than 80% of cases. Most women know that the conventional method of managing menopause with synthetic hormone replacement therapy can cause serious health problems. Thus, it is best to use a natural, safer, approach as your first line of management for menopausal symptoms and to preserve your quality of life.
Heart Health Support: After age 45 the heart is less able to generate the energy required to keep the heart pump (the heart muscle – myocardium) functioning at an optimal level. This is due to the age-related decline in synthesis of Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), which is required to convert food into energy. Studies show that supplementation with CoQ10 and Hawthorn can improve heart function, as evidenced by the fact that they have improved heart function even in patients with congestive heart failure and helped reduce high blood pressure. After age 45 it is vital to protect your heart health with these supplements to help avoid these serious age-related health problems.
Joint Cartilage Support: During this period of life joint cartilage erosion also begins due to decreased glucosamine synthesis in the body. This eventually leads to osteoarthritis of our joints. Supplementation with glucosamine, along with natural anti-inflammatory compounds (quercetin, MSN, bromelain) can preserve cartilage and inhibit the joint inflammation that is also a natural part of the aging process.
Three Lifelong Foundation Supplements: the following 3 supplements should be taken throughout all of adult life beginning at age 15-16 (Bone Support is optional based on your diet and bone density status).
1. High Potency Multiple Vitamin and Mineral: A high potency multiple vitamin and mineral should be antioxidant enriched, contain a B-50 complex, 500 mg of elemental calcium, other bone support nutrients, and every vitamin from Vitamin A to Zinc.
Antioxidant Enriched – antioxidants quench free radicals that cause the kind of genetic damage that transforms a normal cell into a cancer cell. These initiated cancer cells often lie dormant for 20-40 yrs before undergoing rapid cell division and forming malignant tumors. Many cancers that strike in one’s 50’s, 60’s 70’s and beyond, were actually initiated by free radical damage that occurred in a person’s teens, 20’s and/or 30’s.
Antioxidants also quench free radicals that slowly contribute to the following ailments, which also manifest later in life – cataracts, macular degeneration (the leading cause of blindness in people over 55), Alzheimer’s disease, other neurodegenerative diseases (MS, Parkinson’s disease), skin aging (and skin cancer), atherosclerosis (narrowing of arteries), weakened immune function.
For health optimization and disease prevention daily antioxidant dosages from a high potency multiple vitamin and mineral supplement should include:
- Vitamin C – 1000 mg
- Vitamin E succinate
- Selenium 100 – 150 mcg
- Beta –carotene 10,000 -15,000 IU
- Vitamin A – 2500 IU
- Bioflavonoids – 50 mg
- Lycopene Powder – 6 mg
- Lutein Powder – 6 mg
- Zinc – 15 mg
- Magnesium – 200 mg
B-50 Complex – B-vitamins help to optimize many functions within the body, including:
- Energy Production in every cell
- Concentration and Mental function – B-vitamins are required to make the brain chemicals (neurotransmitters) for an alert mind
- Red blood cell and haemoglobin production – to transport oxygen through your system
- Protecting your arteries against the damaging effects of homocysteine – linked to heart disease, stroke and other vascular diseases.
- Reduced cancer risk – B-vitamins are required for normal DNA and RNA synthesis as cells replicate from one generation to the next, decreasing risk of chromosomal breaks and related mutations
Calcium – 500 mg – most adults fall short of the desired calcium intake level each day, by at least 500 mg. This short fall in calcium intake prior to age 40 prevents maximum bone density from occurring. After age 50, when calcium starts to leak out of bone, it becomes much easier for osteoporosis and bone fractures to occur. Sub-optimal calcium intake before age 40 is a principal reason that one in four women, and one in eight men, over 50 develop osteoporosis. Prior to age 40, and especially from ages 11-24, you have the greatest opportunity to maximize your bone density. Along with calcium bones also need Vitamin D, copper, Vitamin C, magnesium and certain B-vitamins, which should also be included in a high potency multiple vitamin and mineral.
2. Essential Fatty Acid Supplement (containing borage, flax and fish oil): this is the perfect combination of essential oils that allows your body to make the types of prostaglandin hormones that have the following health effects:
- Makes your skin smooth and soft
- Reduces risk of heart and vascular disease by improving blood flow and decreasing the stickiness of your blood
- Reduces cancer risk by slowing down the rate of cell division (reduces the number of cellular mutations)
- Slows the aging process (by slowing the rate of cell division)
- Reduces inflammation throughout the body
- Supports brain function throughout all of life, and may reduce risk of Alzheimer’s disease later in life, according to recent studies
3. Bone Support Supplement: for many people their inconsistent dietary patterns provides them with too little calcium, magnesium, Vitamin D, and other bone support nutrients from day-to-day, whereby a high potency multiple vitamin and mineral alone is insufficient to maximize and protect their bone density. To be safe you may wish to consider taking an additional Bone Support Supplement that provides the following bone density insurance:
- Calcium – 600 mg
- Vitamin D – 800 IU
- Magnesium – 300 mg
- Icariin Flavonoid (from epimedium) – this flavonoid is proven to increase bone density even those who have already lost some bone (osteoporosis/osteopenia)
- Silica – This supplement also helps form strong, healthy nails and collagen.